Four weeks. Four looong weeks. That’s how long the renovation took. Four weeks of noise, dust, fumes, dust, chaos, and did I mention dust? (I changed the filters three times.) Just about everything in the house was boxed and moved, and then unboxed, including everything in the bookcases. I sincerely hope I never have to do it again!
I did not, in fact, spend all four weeks actually living in the house, although that had been my original intention. While retrieving the noise-canceling headphones I had won a few years back and never used from the “sell” pile helped with the noise, fumes were another matter. Plus, if I wasn’t there, the contractors could work later and more efficiently – they didn’t have to clear up before they left for the day. I spent a few nights at the local Candlewood Suites – comfortable bed, admirable hot water and an efficient kitchenette – and few more with much-appreciated friends.
I suppose four weeks was not actually unreasonable, given how much was changed. Starting with the front door bell, including all the door sets (turns out I just love the Baldwin door handles), nearly all the lights, all the floors except the second bathroom, all the kitchen appliances….
But, I really like the results. While I had a few doubts along the way, everything looks great now. I expected to enjoy finally getting tile instead of carpet (which I didn’t want in the first place) in the master bath, but not that I would like the hardwood downstairs so much more than carpet. I had been quite happy with my kitchen cabinets, and was dubious about the color of the new fronts until the room was finished, but now I love them. And so on. Although we came in over budget, I am delighted that I had Tina both making design decisions AND dealing with the contractors.